The Journey House model of desegregated or integrated living follows a relational approach where residents are supported by a live-in facilitator and a roster of creative and person-centred, holistic programming and activities, which allow individuals to expand upon their own experience of life and personal identity. The Journey House mandate is to foster growth through connection and by creating an atmosphere of belonging.
- Supports each individual in a non-judgmental and collaborative fashion to expand upon their own experience of life without judgment.
- Acts not as an expert or instructor of “life skills”, but to model activities of daily living and to share a lived experience.
- Supports menu planning and preparation and be available in home overnight
- Provides professional, appropriate and emphatic regard for individuals’ relational strengths, helping to move into connection with others.
- Maintains and supervises established routines and procedures.
- Assists residents to establish and achieve individualized goals
- Utilizes effective and respectful conflict resolution skills.
- Maintains confidentiality of residents.
- Participates in implementation of program activities.
- Fosters positive relationships and collaboration with residents other staff, community programs and partners.
- Provides support to program activities as requested.
- Participates in all meetings as required, completes all written reporting as required and shares information in a respectful, non-judgemental manner.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum SSW or DSW/ 2-year college diploma
- Experience working with individuals with a developmental or cognitive diagnosis
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an effective team member
- Record of involvement in volunteer or extracurricular community activities
- Understanding of anti-oppressive practices
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict and crisis.
- CPI, CPR and Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check).
- Reliable vehicle, valid driving license and insurance.